2020 Finalist in the Keep Victoria Beautiful Awards!
Marine Science Education and Community (MESAC) is an independent not-for-profit organisation committed to marine education and communication of science. We share knowledge through publications and resources, and we communicate understanding of marine environments through community events and activities.
We cultivate passion and care for our marine and coastal environments through science education and community activities to one and all.
We provide leadership in marine science and community collaboration that accelerates understanding and stewardship of our precious marine environments. Through these activities we inspire, educate and ignite passion among an expanding community to care for and protect this important diverse ecosystem.
In the longer term MESAC aims to develop a marine science education centre of excellence in the Bayside area. This facility would feature state-of-the-art technology, wet labs, meeting places, seminar rooms and a lecture theatre to facilitate activities with Victorian schools, Australian and international university researchers, community groups and the public, including the disability sector.
Our Values & Principles
We value community marine education as a means to:
- generate and share knowledge on biodiversity and marine ecosystems
- encourage first-hand experience and connection with marine environments
- encourage an appreciation and connection with ancient marine environments
- demonstrate the value of science in guiding community actions
- support individual and collective stewardship of marine environments
- support and collaborate with other groups with common goals